Tuesday, November 17, 2009

ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

Hello guys, I just want to share something I'd learned yesterday. I installed Oracle database 9i successfully. Everything just seemed to be normal before I found that I could not use this SQL syntax : sqlplus "/ as sysdba". When I tried it, error message occured, ORA-01031: insufficient privileges.


I try to connect with 'formal' mode :
sqlplus /nolog ;
conn sys/oracle as sysdba ;

Then it's connected. I'm in sys mode now. I can view all objects in sys schema. I got weird with this condition and started to check the causes. I checked whether "oradba" has been added to Windows Groups, but I could not find it. So I decided to add it on. After that I can login to sqlplus with SQL syntax : sqlplus "/ as sysdba" successfully.

To add ora_dba to Windows Groups :
1. Open Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users & Groups -> Groups
2. Right Click and choose New Group
3. Type ora_dba on Group Name. After that click Add button on bottom side and type your user name / login name to add to ora_dba group.
4. Click OK and then finished.
5. Just have a try in sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

Regards,


Robert
www.robert-halim.co.cc

No comments: